Tuesday 2 June 2015

Frostcon 2015 Journal

Frostcon was not on my original list of cons to go to but once I won two free passes I figured that it would give me an excuse to visit some of my friends in Toronto.  As day started getting closer, my friend Locobu approached me about doing a cosplay group together.  We decided on doing Sophie (her) and Howl (me).  One of her other friends (Megan) eventually joined us as the Witch of the Waste!  This group gave me even more reason to go!  In the end, I was never able to arrange a visit with my Toronto friends so I decided to make Frostcon a crazy one day thing!  I got my boyfriend and myself on a night bus from Montreal to Toronto, got to the con SUPER early, and left Toronto on another night bus.  Needless to say it was a crazy day!

There was a lot of really great cosplay at this small con, in fact I would say the convention was catered to cosplay.  I was actually on a cosplay panel for the first time ever!  I had no idea what to expect.  I was supposed to give the panel with two of the cosplay guests.  Only one of them ended up showing up (the other one was feeling ill).  As it turned out, we didn't have a projector or a screen so the power point we prepared was not used to the fullest potential.  I personally felt that she had included too many notes in her slide show but in hind sight it's best to have too many than not enough.  I didn't get to talk very much which was fine with me.  It was my first one and I figured I would mostly observe to see how it was like on the other side of the table.

Most of the day was spent wandering the con with my Howl's Moving Castle Group.  We attended one of the guest performances and then had to rush along to practice our skit for the masquerade.  This was my first time doing a skit and having to say words in time with the audio track on stage so it was a bit of a challenge for me!  I think it turned out well though.  You can check out the skit here!  We were the first to perform since I had a bus to catch and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay for the entire masquerade.

Our skit ended up winning the Best in Class Artisan Division award which was cool!  Right before leaving I was able to grab some photos with my group and Locobu and I even ended up being in a fan video, which you can find here!  Overall, it was really fun and totally worth losing one night's of sleep due to traveling!  Will I do it again?  Probably not, it was a once in a lifetime experience.  Next time I go, I will get a hotel room!

No comments:

Post a Comment